Sunday 21 August 2016

THE ROAD AHEAD CHAPTER 23


(Two years after Carol's death Jide was transferred to the maximum prison.

As they entered into the prison yard, he was given an over-sized prisoner's uniform and was taken to a cell. The warder that took him did not spare him but led him inside a cell filled with older inmates.

As they walked down the passage, Jide could perceive different terrible odour emanating from each of these cells. They walk past each cell filled with inmates and he could hear the prisoners cheering him with different slangs and vulgar languages which he hardly understood.

They got to a particular one filled with these loquacious fellows and the warder stops to unlock the padlock. The inmates started teasing the warder that brought Jide in and he smiles at their jests.

The warder opens the burglary for Jide to enter and he saw these haggard-looking, smelly and unkempt men staring at him as if they were glad to see a younger boy sharing the cell with them....)

BAKI : (laughing)...wetin this small boy dey do for here?....(Standing up from his seat and coming towards Jide)
(Jando, who had been standing by the burglary pulls Jide inside)
JANDO : come here......wetin you do?
JIDE : (looking at their scary and dreadful faces)...I...I didn't do anything. I was framed...
SPARK : (laughs)...see this one o, e still dey speak oyinbo?.....i was ‘frame’ (he mimics Jide)….na so!...e good sef...(Looks at the others)...we don see person wey go dey do all our work for us...Lako...you don get helper o...
LAKO : (smiles as he walks towards Jide, looking at him surprisingly)...'aze'(hey) come here!...(Pulling Jide by his uniform)...come make I do sesede (induction) for you...(They all laugh)...na only five efoti (slaps) I go give you...lobatan...oya...(before Jide knew it, he gives him a slap)
JIDE : arrgh...(The slap was so heavy on him that he staggers and hits his head on the wall)...arrgh...please, I didn't do anything....(looking at their horrible faces amid the tears welling up in his eyes)
LAKI : me sef no do anything when they slap me...(Slaps him again as Jide cries )...see, the slap ehn, e go make your eyes clear say this place na prison, ewon lo n jebe! E different from outside....(Slaps him again)...the slap go open your eyes well, well...(He slaps Jide five good times)
BAKI : oya next step... Come here...
JIDE : sir...(Crying, with his mouth now bleeding)
BAKI : I say come here!....abi you wan take another slap again?
JIDE : yes sir...I mean no sir...(Moving towards him reluctantly while holding his jaw)
BAKI : oya do press up...(Pointing at the ground)
JIDE : (surprised)...press up?
BAKI : (looks at the others)...he dey ask me o....
SPARK : (slaps him)...e be like say your ear don block?
(Quickly Jide lies down and starts doing the press-up while Baki lies on the bench putting his legs on Jide)
JANDO : Do quick, because na everybody you go do am for o.
BAKI : (enjoying the feel)....hey go up well! Abi you wan collect another slap?
LAKI : as you dey do that one make I dey tell you wetin you go dey do....all the koriko (grass cutting portion) wey dey give us, ehn, na you go dey cut everything....you hear?
JIDE : yes sir...(Crying)
SPARK : see as he dey cry o...this one na baby o....(Looks at the others)
LAKI : no worry, you go grow up kia!...(Hits Jide at intervals)....raise well! Raise well! You never chop?

(Being a young chap, he was intimidated and mal-treated by the older inmates. Sometimes, they rob him of his food while he goes hungry for days. They would ask him to do their regular chores for them while they sit and gist away or smoking marijuana.

Jide being the type that always avoids trouble would comply. Sometimes, he would cut up to 60/100 feet land space full of grass which was supposed to be the work of about seven people, especially when its rainy season when the grasses would grow very fast. He did the work enforced on him. He would be the one to wash their clothes and clean the cell when they have to.

The condition of the maximum prison is nothing to write home about; there are no beds in the cells for prisoners to sleep on. The mattress available are few and even the few ones are either tattered or worn out. The toilets are not well maintained. Some of the toilet seats are broken while some do not have seats. Sometimes the prisoners would defecate on papers, wrap it and dump it inside the suck-away, while some other would use the pit toilets. The cells have only burglary doors and so mosquitoes usually have their fill whenever they feel like, thereby making the prisoners battle malaria day in day out. When it’s cold, they would have cold and catarrh, some end up having pneumonia and may not survive it.

In the cell where he was kept, he slept on the cold floor. Sometimes when his mother would bring blanket for him, the other inmates would take it from him. His books were not touched though, except when the older inmates want to be brutal towards him, they would tear some of his books apart and Jide would go around keeping up the scattered pieces.

Life in the prison cell was not easy for Jide. Slaps became his food. Sometimes he would go to a corner and cry like a baby when he remembers what his life would have been like if he had not been implicated. He also weeps whenever he remembers his father, who had died all because of him.

Sometimes when his mother comes around, he would cry and cry with her.

At a time he was introduced to marijuana by the older inmates who would try forcing him to smoke. Upon his refusal, they would either beat him up or tear his books. All this went on and Jide could only bear it all.

After sometime, some of the jailer had pity on him seeing he's a good boy, they removed him from the mist of those terrible inmates who are inflicting pain on him.

Jide resigns to fate, awaiting what will happen to him there. He kept studying. He told his mother to bring him more textbooks, just to keep him from thinking about his predicament and believing that someday, his innocence will come to light and he will come out of the dungeon life has put him into.

After hearing his story one day, Mr. Mena, one of the jailers that showed interest in Jide asked for his help for one of his children who was about doing his final exams. Jide helped out as the boy who would come over to the prison and Jide would teach him.

Between two years, all the warders already liked Jide and would treat him specially. Seeing he's an obedient and responsible young man. He also helped some of their children with their exams and would never ask anything in return. He met favour in the eyes of all the warders.





(Barrister Lekan Davies was at his office when he received a call from his brother in-law....)

CALLER : hello Bro!
LEKAN : Kanmi..how are you?
CALLER : I'm good Bro, how's my sis and the kids?
LEKAN : they're all good. How are you too?
CALLER : very well Bro.
LEKAN : hope you'll be around for your sister's birthday?
CALLER : that's still in about four months...
LEKAN : yes, that's why I'm telling you now.
CALLER : hmm...
LEKAN : I intend doing something really special for her, though. It’s her fortieth remember?
CALLER : of course I know. You know she's the only sister I've got...
LEKAN : that’s why I’m telling you…
CALLER : does she have any plans for it yet?
LEKAN : no, not yet..
CALLER : okay...you know what Bro, let's make it a surprise party….
LEKAN : hmm...(Thinks for a while)...that's a good idea.
CALLER : but who will help you out?
LEKAN : em....(Trying to think fast)...my sister and her friend should be able to do that.
CALLER : okay. Let me see....(Thinking)....I'll send you some cash next month to boost the whole thing.
LEKAN : oh thanks. Tell me when you're ready to, I'll send my account number to you. And get her something really nice o.
CALLER : alright Bro, I will. How's my incredible little nephew?
LEKAN : he's fine.
CALLER : I'm sure he's a big boy now...
LEKAN : yes o. He'll soon be in secondary school now.
CALLER : wow!...that's good. And Bola?
LEKAN : she's alright.
CALLER : hope the asthmatic attack is reducing?
LEKAN : oh well...we're managing it o.
CALLER : please take good care of her.
LEKAN : alright. And take care of yourself too.
CALLER : I will.
LEKAN : alright bye...(Hangs up)





(Andy Silva is seated at his prestigious office thinking of what he needs to do within the next few months. He is about vacating his office and as usual, he calls Badru, his banker to do the normal thing they do; transferring all his money to another account for a cover-up....)

RECEIVER : sir, the money is quite much, I may have to split it.
ANDY : split?...how?
RECEIVER : putting it in about two different account.
ANDY : I don't think I like the sound of that. Why don't you just put it in one and we'll transfer it straight from there.
RECEIVER : em....(thinking of what he just said)
ANDY : (cuts in)….the other time you kept it in a dormant account, can't you do that again?
RECEIVER : em....(still thinking)….okay. I'll do that. At least, the person can't even withdraw it till he or she activates the account.
ANDY : good. Please do it soon, you know I'm leaving office soon.
RECEIVER : okay sir.
ANDY : and you can remove your usual percentage.
RECEIVER : em..I'll do that after returning the money to your account.
ANDY : hmm....bad boy.....(laughs) you also need a cover up, isn't it?
RECEIVER : well sir....one can't be too careful.
ANDY : I see. Anyway, I'll tell you when it’s safe to return it.
RECEIVER : alright sir.




Susan is in her final year at the Northern Illinois University Chicago. She came across a familiar face at the student's lounge some few weeks ago but didn't approach him.

Today again she saw him at the cafeteria beside her hostel. He is a good looking guy with a neat hair-cut, one that is about a day old or so. He's dressed in a white muscle top and a fitted black jean, holding a post graduate file in his hands. He looks really attractive and more like a Nigerian today, unlike the day she had seen him in the snow. She summoned the courage to talk to him and walks up to him...)

SUSAN : hi...
GUY : (turning around to see who his caller is)...hello?....(The face looks familiar to him too)
SUSAN : you kinda look familiar, but I'm not so sure...
GUY : (he noticed that she’s also a Nigerian)…..you look familiar too...but I can't place the face.
SUSAN : maybe it was in the plane...
GUY : (thinks for a while)….nah, I don’t think so…did you attend AIS?
SUSAN : no…
GUY : anyway…(he decided to use the opportunity to meet the beautiful lady)….., I'm Stanley...(Extending a handshake)...Stanley Achibong
SUSAN : (shaking him, she knew the name rings a bell)...I'm Susan....(Then it clicks)...oh my God, you're Carol's brother!
STAN : yeah...(Trying to recall)
SUSAN : can't you remember me? I'm Susan, Carol's friend in A-College!
STAN : oh my! That's true!....wow! You look so big now....(Looking at her all over)
SUSAN : you can say that again....(Trying not to bring up Carol's issue)...em...what are you doing here?
STAN : I'm doing my Masters here, actually.
SUSAN : oh.
STAN : and you?
SUSAN : I'm in my final year studying Business Management.
STAN : that's cool...how are you doing?
SUSAN : very well thanks.
STAN : it’s so good to see you. Now I have a friend here.
SUSAN : where did you have your degree?
STAN : in L.A. I came here because I wanted to know what it feels like being in the colder part of the country.
SUSAN : hmm...when I am here wishing I'd be in a place like L.A...different strokes...
STAN : yeah you can say that again...I'll give you my number. We can hang out sometime soon, if that's okay?
SUSAN : yeah why not.

(They exchange numbers and became friends.)





(Badru is at his office, busy doing some work on his system. He decided to give Andy Silva a call...)

BADRU : (on the phone)...hello sir…
RECEIVER : Badru...
BADRU : yes sir. I just want to tell you I've done the transfer.
RECEIVER : okay that's good.
BADRU : when do you think I should put it back?
RECEIVER : you said it’s a dormant account, right?
BADRU : yes sir.
RECEIVER : okay....em....they've done the screening already but let's wait till em... (Thinking)....sometime later before you send it back.
BADRU : alright sir.
RECEIVER : you'll monitor it as usual...
BADRU : definitely sir.
RECEIVER : alright. I'll get back to you on soon. Because I don't want it staying in my account. I'll think of how to dispose of it.
BADRU : alright sir.





(The following day, Lekan was at his office when Omar walks in...)

LEKAN : where is the Fixter's document I asked you to get?
OMAR : it’s here sir....(Stretching out a file to him)
LEKAN : okay...(Collecting the file from him)
OMAR : sir. I made a mistake with the account number you asked me to send to your brother-in-law.
LEKAN : how?....(Dropping the file on his desk)
OMAR : I gave him your savings account instead of your current account.
LEKAN : of which of the banks?
OMAR : Alan trust Bank.
LEKAN : what? How can you make that kind of mistake?
OMAR : I’m really sorry sir. Sometimes back I deleted all the old drafts I have on my phone and ended up deleting the latest one instead of the old one sir. It was yesterday evening when I was going through my phone that I discovered the one I sent was the old one. I’m really sorry sir.
LEKAN : but that was very careless of you. You sent a message since last month and you are just cross checking only after a month plus… Now the money will be hanging....
OMAR : erm…no sir, it won't hang, since all the details are correct.
LEKAN : but that account should be dormant by now.
OMAR : ouch....(thinks for a while)…all the same sir, the money will still enter into the account. You'll just have to activate it.
LEKAN : I'll call him. I may still be lucky, maybe he hasn't done the transaction yet....(Picking up his phone dialing)....hello Kanmi?
RECEIVER : hello Bro...
LEKAN : have you done the transaction already?
RECEIVER : yes.
LEKAN : oh my...
RECEIVER : hope there's no problem?
LEKAN : my boy sent you the wrong account number.
RECEIVER : oh my God....
LEKAN : don't worry, it’s okay.
RECEIVER : I don't understand, whose account? 'Cause the name was yours....
LEKAN : (cuts in)...yes it’s my account, but it’s now dormant.
RECEIVER : I guess you'll have to go and re-activate it then.
LEKAN : I don't have a choice....alright, thanks, we'll talk later....(Hangs up and turns to Omar)...if not for the fact that you can't do the reactivation on my behalf, I would have sent you straight to the bank now.
OMAR : sorry sir.




(Few weeks later, Andy was at his study when he puts a call through to Badru...)

ANDY : hello?
RECEIVER : hello...
ANDY : (looking at his phone)...haha...that was a female voice....who picked the call?...it must have been a network jam…(He dials the number again and listens....The same thing happens again and he hangs up)....the same person again?....who's picking his call?....(Thinks for a while)....may be its one of his girls...but that's stupid of her, she shouldn't pick his calls....(He re-dials the number again)....hello?
RECEIVER : hello?
ANDY : please give the phone to Badru...
RECEIVER : please who am I speaking with?
ANDY : this is Andy Silva. Who am I speaking with?
RECEIVER : this is his wife on the line.
ANDY : oh....this is the former Minister for petroleum speaking.
RECEIVER : oh, good afternoon sir. Didn't you hear what happened to him?
ANDY : (surprised)...what happened to who?
RECEIVER : my husband sir. He was involved in a ghastly auto-crash...
ANDY : (shocked, he stands up pacing)....what! is that a joke or what?
RECEIVER : it’s not a joke sir…
ANDY : my God….When was that?
RECEIVER : last week Wednesday.
ANDY : Jesus! Wednesday! Okay where is he now? Hope he's alright? Hope he's not dead?
RECEIVER : he's in a coma.
ANDY : oh my God!....

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment