Sunday 21 August 2016

THE ROAD AHEAD CHAPTER 22


About a month later...

Even though Charles had being discouraged by Sandra words, he still felt the need to get to the bottom of the case and so he went back to the morgue to get a sample of Carol's DNA, the hair, nail, anything. The manager refused to give him except he gets an authorization from the girl's father.

Charles becomes really worried. He feels the need to get to the bottom of the case but the hindrances are becoming too much. He was at his office with Tonia, his assistant, thinking of what to do...)

TONIA : sir, I've tried the number several times but its not going through.
CHARLES : that's weird.
TONIA : sir, you said he had called you last month..
CHARLES : yes he did. I had to lie to him that the test is already being done with the girl's blood.
TONIA : (surprised)...you did?
CHARLES : yes. The call was kind of suspicious. He sounded desperate. More like it wasn't just about the test. I mean, calling all of a sudden that you now have the money and you want the shoe immediately, that's weird.
TONIA : but what do you think could be going on?
CHARLES : I don't know. In fact, I didn't even know I won't get the girl's DNA before telling him the test is being done already.
TONIA : so now what happens if he asks about the test?
CHARLES : I'll cover that up somehow.....shit...(Moves away from his table)...I wish I could know what's going on somehow...
TONIA : (takes a deep breath)...I've tried the number but its not just going through.
CHARLES : how come his number is not going through now?
TONIA : may be he mis-placed his phone
CHARLES : may be. I checked him up the last time I went to the magistrate court but he was nowhere to be found. The people there said he's not coming there anymore, I don't know what that really means.
TONIA : and he didn't tell you any other thing since then?
CHARLES : he has not called or anything. In fact, he's done absolutely nothing about the boy.
TONIA : I hope he's alright.
CHARLES : I hope so too. I really wish I could help that boy. The last time I saw him, his situation was pathetic. He's skinnier.
TONIA : oh...but with the situation of things...
CHARLES : yes I know it may not be possible. If only I can do the test with the blood on those shoes, then we have a case...then, I may even call up the case for the court proceedings myself.
TONIA : without being paid?
CHARLES : oh well....those people, I'm sure can't pay my bills. I may just do it for them free.
TONIA : May?
CHARLES : will.
TONIA : sir, if only Mr Achibong had being around to listen to you.
CHARLES : I don't know why he's being like that. I feel he's avoiding my call.
TONIA : may be you should just wait for his lawyer to start up the case. He will just be amazed to see you as the boy's lawyer.
CHARLES : I don't care about that.
TONIA : but sir, I hope you know the kind of people you're taking on...the Minister of Petroleum and Gas.
CHARLES : (turns to Tonia)...not only that...
TONIA : (confused)...really?
CHARLES : yes. A Judge's son...
TONIA : oh my God...
CHARLES : who is also involved...actually he's an accomplice to the Ministers son.
TONIA : but how?
CHARLES : (explains to her how Ken may have been involved)....so the boy said, though. But if its all true then the Judge's son will be going down with the minister's.
TONIA : oh my God...that is a very delicate case...sir, if you ask me, I'd say winning a case like this will be a on a probability of one over one thousand.
CHARLES : hmm....you can say that again...
TONIA : No Judge will want to send his own son to prison.
CHARLES : oh well...
TONIA : and its very dangerous getting involved with people like this too.
CHARLES : (takes a deep breath)...I know. I know its risky.
TONIA : and you still want to do it?
CHARLES : really, I don't know. Though I wish to help.
TONIA : hmm....(Shaking her head)...pardon my words sir, but I hope they won't have your head for this...
CHARLES : (smiles and shakes his head)...if only you know what's going on in my head....
TONIA : so...what are you going to do now?
CHARLES : I'm waiting for the Achibongs lawyer to bring up the case. Once he does, I'll come in. I don't have a strong evidence so I can't bring the case up, but if he does, then the better.
TONIA : hmm....again I'll say, cases like this can be dangerous sir...
CHARLES : it sure is, Tonia. That is why I'm not going first. I don't want to be the sacrificial lamb for the case.
TONIA : hmm...


**********************************************************


Jide is still there in police cell, seeing different detainees coming and going. Some, happy they are not in his shoes while some others pity him. He thought of what will become of him and his scholarship.

Abike kept going around looking for money for the test. All those she thought would help her ignored her. Some gave excuses while others don't want to get involved in "criminal issues".

She tried going back to Sukanmi to tell him her predicament but he was no where to be found.

In a bid to locate Sukanmi, James who had stopped his wife from buying his drugs in order to save money for Jide's trial, one day, forced his wife to bring him to Sukanmi's office so as to beg and plead with him to do something fast about their son's issue.

Himself and his wife had left the house that day for the magistrate court, in the hope of waiting for Sukanmi until shows up. They had waited for about six hours sitting on a bench under a tree shade. Abike had gone for some bread and water for James who is now hungry but refused to go home. She was not back when one of the ladies who had heard something about Sukanmi's whereabouts walked up to James to tell him that Sukanmi will not be coming back there anymore. He could not believe what he just heard as he choked, from a heart attack.

Abike was coming from a distance when she saw the lady trying to hold James, she ran to the place.

James had a heart attack and did not make it to the hospital. He died.

The news of James death came as a blow to Jide. He couldn't stop crying. No one could comfort him, knowing he had lost the only man he wanted to study medicine for. And the fact that he only saw him once since he had been locked up saddens him more.


Abike went around looking for how to get money. She was ready to borrow it from anyone who can. She could not stand Jide's situation anymore epecially now that her husband is dead. She still tried looking for a way to help her son out, after James' burial, but to no avail.



**********************************************************


Months later, the WAEC result came out and Jide's result was all As. Most of the students in Atlantic College are now abroad. They all came back to get their results and process their university education.

Bukola gets admission into a university in the UK, the same university with Lucas.

Bibi got an admission into another University in UK too.

Susan got into a school in the US.

Andrew and Ken also got into the same university in the US.

Things remain the same for Jide. The case was not brought to court. Yet, he remains in the police cell waiting for his case to be brought to court. His mother keeps going up and down looking for a way to remove her son from prison.

Once she went to the Achibongs residence to beg them to please release her son from prison, but she was thrown out like a piece of rubbish.

She went to the Proprietress of Atlantic College to see if she can help out, but Mrs Baker was handicapped. All the staff of Atlantic College could only pity her predicament.

All her friends and family neglected her. No one was ready to help.

Charles could not do anything after waiting so long for the case to be brought to court. He felt may be the Archibongs have decided to let the case go. He gave up, though leaving his contact behind, in case the Archibongs decide to bring the case to court.

He later heard that Carol has being buried and he wished the Achibongs could just let Jide go since they've decided not to take the case to court (at least so he thought).

Years passed....

To be continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment