Tuesday 12 July 2016

TEST OF TIME 32

 Episode 32

 
Jade and her father became quite close. Every time she comes back from her various business outings, she would come stay with her father, feed him and gist with him till he sleeps off. Thereafter, she will go to bed.
The following week Jade goes to the airport to pick Yomi. She brings him to the house to see her father...)
JADE : (entering into his room)...Dad...here is Yomi
YOMI : (prostrates)...good afternoon sir
AKIN : (trying to sit up)....Yomi....em Coker right?
YOMI : (standing up)...yes sir.
AKIN : (extends a handshake)...how are you?
YOMI : (shaking him)....I'm fine sir.
JADE : sit down...(Pointing at the chair close to her father for him to sit)...Dad, I want to go and get lunch ready.
AKIN : alright dear...
JADE : sweetheart, feel free with Dad, he's fun to be with, okay?...(Leaving the room)
YOMI : (chuckles)...okay...
AKIN : she told me everything you did for her even though you had no job.
YOMI : its nothing sir. Its a normal thing you do for someone you really love.
AKIN : hmm...tell me about your trip.
YOMI : okay sir. I was recently employed by Panon Oil and one of their requirements as an Architect is...
AKIN : (cuts in)...oh...you're an Architect?
YOMI : yes sir.
AKIN : hmm...continue...
YOMI : okay. One of their requirement is too come study here. I guess that's because Architecture on the oil field is different from that of construction because my experience is in building construction. So they said I need to come for a course here before resuming at the office.
AKIN : hmm.....I see. Where were you working before?
YOMI : Lionel Construction Company.
AKIN : okay. When does your lectures commence?
YOMI : next monday sir.
AKIN : alright. Then tell me, you really love my daughter, right?
YOMI : more than anything sir. She means the world to me.
AKIN : hmmm..... I told her to prepare a room here for you to stay instead of being in the hotel room.
YOMI : em...she told me sir but I don't know how the management will take that because I came here with a team and we are suppose to stay together in the same hotel.
AKIN : what if I tell you to leave that company and come work with me?
YOMI : (skeptical)...em...sir I just got this job and it pays better than my former job, in fact twice as much. Sir, if you're afraid I won't be able to take care of Jade, you don't have to worry because my salary will be good enough to, believe me.
AKIN : you haven't answered my question, Yomi.
YOMI : sir....(Prostrates again)...please I know you're the father of the woman I love and you have an important role to play in our lives together, but please sir, Architecture is something I love to do. If you ask me to go into business, I won't be happy in it, so please allow me do what I love doing best and please sir, don't tag it with me being with your daughter.
AKIN : Yomi....
YOMI : sir...
AKIN : sit down...
YOMI : okay sir....(he sits down)
AKIN : that's a polite way of saying no to me, you know...
YOMI : Daddy you're someone I can't say no to sir, but tamper justice with mercy sir.
AKIN : what if that's my last wish before I die?
(Yomi becomes dumbfounded...)
AKIN : let's continue this some other time, okay?
YOMI : okay sir.
AKIN : as time goes on you will know why I asked you that favor. And you just got here, I should allow you rest and freshen up.
YOMI : thank you sir.
AKIN : feel free to stay here, the house is yours since you're my son in law, okay?
YOMI : okay sir.
AKIN : I can as well call you my son...(He smiles)
YOMI : yes sir.
AKIN : call the attendant at the door to call Jade for me. Both of you should come and eat your lunch here with me.
YOMI : yes sir...excuse me sir....(He stands up and leaves)
(Some few minutes later, the table was set in the room, Jade and Yomi eats their lunch while they gist with Akin Thomas...)
YOMI : that was how the guy started fighting with the belt until one of the air hostesses came to his rescue...
JADE : (laughing)...that was the same thing that happened to me the first time I entered into a plane....(Laughing)...but I did mine 'codedly' nau trust me...
YOMI : that's the logo of a first timer
JADE : (laughing)...
(Akin Thomas kept smiling at what they are saying but deep inside him he felt bad that his daughter went through a hard life, or how else do you explain the fact that her first time of entering inside a plane is just some few years back)
JADE : Dad, did it happen to you when you first entered a plane?
AKIN : hmm....then airplanes coming from Nigeria weren't even like this, especially the ones Nigerian airways used. Most of them were old then, plus very few people were opportuned to enter planes so almost half of those you see there will be struggling with the seat belt.
JADE : hmm....that's better because then you won't be the only one looking like a novice...
YOMI : (laughing)...that's true.
(A part of Akin Thomas is happy to see he still has a daughter, one that cares about him)
AKIN : Jade
JADE : Yes Dad?
AKIN : I called your Mum yesterday, I spoke to her and her husband.
JADE : oh really?
AKIN : yes. I sent one of your Uncles to give her a cheque but she didn't collect it.
JADE : hmm...(Smiles)...Mum won't.
AKIN : I just wanted to make up for my misdeeds.
JADE : I know Dad. Don't worry I'll talk to her...(Thinks about it)...but, what cheque? How did you send a cheque from here, and where is she suppose to cash it?
AKIN : its the Dividend of one of the companies, so I told them to write it in her name. But she refused it.
YOMI : but the money will be hanging...
AKIN : that's why I'm telling you to talk to her. Its just a little change even if she doesn't want it she can use it to buy something for the kids.
JADE : how much is it?
AKIN : about ten million or thereabout...
YOMI : hmm!...(Opening his eyes) change?
JADE : Dad how can you call that a little change.
AKIN : its in naira not pounds.
JADE : even at that...That's a lot of money...I'll talk to her anyway, don't worry.
AKIN : thanks dear....Yomi have you been to the UK before?
YOMI : yes but just for about two weeks. We were sent here by Lionel.
AKIN : okay....so are you two going to be staying in the same room?
JADE : no Dad. I've prepared his room already.
AKIN : why? You're getting married ain't you? So why not?
JADE : Daddy...what are you thinking?....that we're having sex?
AKIN : well....
JADE : no Dad, its a sin. Sex outside marriage is a sin.
AKIN : (surprised) it is?
JADE : yes Dad, it is.
AKIN : (he looks at Yomi)...and you also think so?
YOMI : (laughs)...yes sir, it is. As a good christian you shouldn't involve in such.
AKIN : hmm mm....okay....
(After eating, they left him to rest for a while after which his nurse attended to him. Jade takes Yomi to his room)
YOMI : wow....we're alone at last...(Holds her and sits her down on the bed)....this house is damn big! Haha, its too big! How come he stays here alone?
JADE : well....so I saw it...
YOMI : I've really missed you...
JADE : I missed you too.
YOMI : (he became serious)....Jade...
JADE : hmm
YOMI : when are we getting married?
JADE : haha...why are you thinking of that now?
YOMI : em.....because....because... now I have a job and we don't have to wait any longer. Moreover, I missed you for this two weeks I didn't see you. It was as if I was going to choke!
JADE : hmm...Yomi, its a lie that's not why you asked, there's something you're not telling me....spit it out.
YOMI : em....that's why.
JADE : spit it out...
YOMI : ehn...Jade, Dad made a proposal to me the other time we talked....
JADE : (sitting up)...what proposal is that?
YOMI : he said I should come work with him.... and Baby you know I love Architecture, its my life...
JADE : (smiles)..is that why you want us to get married now?
YOMI : yes because he may say if I can't work with him then he can't say yes to our marriage.
JADE : Yomi...its okay. I'll talk to him, okay?
YOMI : and that won't stop us from being together?
JADE : no it won't....(Touching his chin)...its okay honey we're good.
YOMI : I don't want to loose you.
JADE : you won't loose me.
YOMI : (he hugs her)...that assurance is enough for me.
JADE : (smiles, hugging him tightly)....okay....(Looking at his face)...so, we're in the United Kingdom, we should enjoy it to the fullest...well...that's before you go for your course, but hey we have some days right?
YOMI : yes....
..............................................................................
(Some weeks after Yomi had moved into his hotel room, Akin Thomas calls him and Jade for a serious talk. He also asks Nate to be present...
AKIN : Yomi, I'm happy you came around.
YOMI : I'm happy to come around too sir.
AKIN : remember I suggested to you that you should come and work for me?
YOMI : (he looks at Jade)...y...yes sir.
AKIN : I want to tell you why I said so...(He sits up as they help him)...the companies I have are too much for Jade to handle. That's the reason why I sold some of my properties before I found her mother. Jade has been selling off some of them...isn't it?
JADE : yes Dad.
AKIN : yet they are still much. The ones in Nigeria are yet to be touched. This is the reason why I made that proposal to you. Jade is a woman. Once she gets married to you she will have the children to take care of and handling all the companies too will be too strenuous for her. Although, she can monitor them the way I did but notwithstanding, some of them may still need one's attention. This is the reason why I wanted you to do it with her. Moreover, the company where you're working, Panon Oil is mine...
JADE : (cuts in)...you own Panon Oil and Gas!
NATE : yes, that's one of his companies over there.
YOMI : (shocked)...so I'm working for you already?
AKIN : yes. But I want both of you to manage my businesses, not working under one of my companies.
JADE : (takes a deep breath)....hmm....(Looks at Yomi)
AKIN : so Yomi go and think about it....Nate, what is the report?
NATE : sir, now that you told Jade, maybe she will think about what to do because her intention before was to sell off all your companies here and use the money to invest over there...
AKIN : what do you advice her as an Attorney?
NATE : I advice she leaves them here. We can put up a sale of some shares so that some of those in the management can have shares in it, just like we did with those in Nigeria, that way, the companies will not go down the drain, because no one wants to loose his money. Also, your profit will be intact, because your account will be credited regularly as profit increases and you can keep increasing your shares whenever there's a call up. (Turns to Jade) you don't have to be here to handle them, you can only show up whenever a meeting for shareholders is called for.
AKIN : (turns to Jade)...that's what I'll also advice you do.
NATE : you can also do the same for the companies in Nigeria. Show up for Board meetings and get the updates on all the incomes and all that's going on in the company.
JADE : (takes a deep breath)....but Dad all this is too much....
AKIN : Jade, if Zeta had not died, my intention was to give you all the companies in Nigeria, while she owns the ones here...
JADE : but Dad she owns all the money...
AKIN : not all, the companies in Nigeria where purchased with my own profit. As the manager of my wife's assets and companies, I had my shares in all her companies. That is why there are more companies here than there.
JADE : so far, we have gone to more than 13 companies....
NATE : and there's still more.
AKIN : Jade, you're going to have kids. More than I had, its for them. You, your kids and your Mum. If you feel you don't want any of them, give it out to whoever you want, they are all yours....(Turns to Nate)...once you people are done with the companies here then, its time to go to the ones in Nigeria. I didn't put down any name as my next of kin, that's why I'm happy I didn't die in the accident. I'll do it here by giving her the power of attorney and making her my beneficiary.
NATE : okay sir.
AKIN : Yomi, go and think about what I said, okay?
YOMI : (takes a deep breath) yes sir.
NATE : if that's all I'll like to take my leave sir....(parking his files back)
AKIN : alright Nate thanks...
NATE : you're welcome sir. (Turns to Jade)....so we hook up tomorrow. We're going to Manchester.
JADE : alright...bye..
NATE : yeah...(Turns to Yomi)...Yomi, see you later man....(They exchange hand shakes and he leaves)
JADE : (goes close to him to hold his hand)....Dad, I'm not going to leave you. I saw the Doctor yesterday before he left and he didn't give me a good report.
AKIN : but you have to show up in Nigeria so that they can know you as the new owner.
JADE : I will do that. I didn't come here to get your wealth but to spend time with you. So I wont leave you here alone. I want to spend your last days with you.
AKIN : (smiles)...thanks dear.
JADE : I intend to bring Mum and the  family over here Dad. You're going to have a full house...
AKIN : really?
JADE : yes.
AKIN : I'd really love that. When are they coming?
JADE : very soon. Immediately my siblings have their holidays in school, they I'll come over.
AKIN : let me know when they need to get their visa. I'll just make a call from here okay?
JADE : okay Daddy...
AKIN : thank you so much for everything dear. I love you.
JADE : I love you too Dad...(She smiles and hugs him how she can, Yomi looks at her with pity)..... Dad I think you have to rest now.
AKIN : yes, I will....Yomi are you still around?
YOMI : yes sir, I'm spending the weekend here.
AKIN : that's good. I'm looking forward to dine with you.
YOMI : alright sir...
(They both leave him to rest.)
...........................................................................
(Some months later, in Nigeria, a memoir was sent to the heads of department of Cusins....
Mike Yinka and two of their colleagues are in the cafeteria...)
YINKA : actually I wanted to weave the end of the year dinner but I won't.
MIKE : why?
ALEX : why nau?
YINKA : the new chairman will be introduced.
MIKE : how do you know?
ALEX : its in the memoir nau...didn't you see it?
MIKE : I didn't read it o...
YINKA : you know I never got to know the previous owner till he died. So this is an opportunity for me to know him.
MIKE : who is he, do you have and idea?
YINKA : no o. I don't.
ALEX : the previous owner was based in the UK and I heard he was even buried there. The knew owner too is coming from the UK.
MIKE : how do you know?
ALEX : I saw the Letter nau. It was signed by a UK based Lawyer. I saw the letter head. Its chamber is based in the UK.
YINKA : oh...
ALEX : they said they regret to announce the previous owner's death...blablabla...
YINKA : hmm...that's why I want to show up for the party.
MIKE : then I should come too.
JAMES : are other branches coming too?
YINKA : yes. They can't keep introducing the owner at every branch nau....even Lagos branch will come here?
JAMES : haha..I thought they'll do it in Lagos...
YINKA : no. Mr Kay said there will be too many end of the year functions in Lagos, and don't forget that they usually book a room for us each....
MIKE : that's true. Availability of space.
JAMES : so which hotel are we using this time around?
YINKA : I don't know yet o. But I'm sure it will be a big one, abi, for someone like that to be officially introduced to us...
JAMES : yes o, coupled with the fact that its only all departmental heads that are invited....
MIKE : no o. Its three people from each department.
ALEX : lucky you Yinka, you're close to your departmental head, I'm sure he will take you. But who will Mr Kay take with you?
YINKA : I don't know...
MIKE : I wish to go too.
JAMES : people like us can't even dream of it. We're new.
YINKA : (laughing)....don't worry you will get there one day. I'm looking forward to being the Managing Director of this company one day....
MIKE : hmm....future MD!
YINKA : that's me o.
ALEX : (laughing) no be only MD na DM! How many management courses you don do?
YINKA : haa! No try me o, that's my dream. Don't you know how much the MD makes?....over 5 million monthly! Compare that to my meager 450k....
ALEX : omo! You get dreams o...
YINKA : yes o...I wan become millionaire before the age of forty. At least having nothing less than a hundred million in my account, and various assets everywhere...
ALEX : yeah right!
YINKA : watch and see..

No comments:

Post a Comment