Saturday 13 August 2016

THE ROAD AHEAD CHAPTER 20


(Charles had gotten Dazu, the gardener's number. He calls him up asking to meet him up after work. They decided to meet up at the end of the street...)

DAZU : (wondering why the lawyer wanted to see him)...oga, you say you be lawyer, hope no problem o?
CHARLES : yes. Please I need your help on an issue...please come in...(Opening the door for him)
DAZU : okay...(Entering into the car)...my help?
CHARLES : yes.
DAZU : how?
CHARLES : you heard about the crime that occurred at your place of work right?
DAZU : the girl wey die abi?
CHARLES : exactly...
DAZU : I hear am. But I no dey work that day o....
CHARLES : (cuts in)...of course I know that. I just need to ask your daughter some few questions.
DAZU : my daughter? Wetin she do? She no know the girl o and....
CHARLES : (cuts in).... I know. Your daughter, she comes to help you sometimes, right?
DAZU : yes but....
CHARLES : (cuts in)...don't worry, its no big deal, I just want to ask if she knows Jide...
DAZU : oh Jide, that boy, I no believe say he fit do that kain thing at all o. Na good boy he be.
CHARLES : that's what I want to ask your daughter. I want to know if he has tried molesting her before.
DAZU : molesting? Wetin be that?
CHARLES : let's just go to your house. I'll take you home....(Starting the car)
DAZU : okay...(Adjusting himself in the car)
(They drove straight to Dazu's house and Dazu calls his daughter out to talk to Charles...)
DAZU : na my pikin be dis....
BEL : good afternoon sir.
CHARLES : good afternoon, how are you?
BEL : fine sir.
CHARLES : you are Belinda, right?
BEL : yes.
CHARLES : you know Jide very well, right?
BEL : yes.
CHARLES : and you heard about the girl that died?
BEL : yes.
CHARLES : okay....is it true that Jide once saw you one day when Andrew was taking you into the same building where the girl was killed?
(Belinda looks at her father, more like she does not want him to hear that such a thing happened.)
DAZU : (surprised)...is that so? Andrew take you go new boys quarter?
CHARLES : You have to tell me the truth because I was told by someone that saw you and Andrew....
BEL : em....(Feeling very reluctant)
DAZU : answer the question nau!
BEL : y...yes.
CHARLES : and Jide saw you, isn't it?
BEL : yes.
DAZU : so you and Andrew don dey meet for backyard!....(Hits her)
BEL : no papa! I ran away nau. He didn't do anything. Jide was there that day sef.
DAZU : ehn...ehn....
CHARLES : its okay, please stop hitting her.
DAZU : look, if you get bele, I go send you comot for this house! Useless girl!
CHARLES : (turns to Dazu)...please take it easy....(Turns to Bel)...you said Jide was there?
BEL : yes. He saw Andrew when he was trying to force me, so he shouted at Andrew and he let me go.
CHARLES : was that the first time?
BEL : (looks at her father)...em
DAZU : (hits her) answer the question!
BEL : em no. He...he has tried it before...it...it was his mother that saw him.
DAZU : chai!
CHARLES : its okay....(Holding Dazu's hand).... Anyway, that will be all. You can go now.
BEL : okay..(She leaves)
CHARLES : (turns to Dazu)....that Jide boy, do you think he did it?
DAZU : I think, that boy na good boy o. He get respect well well. I no think he fit do that kain thing...if na him do am, he for don run comot. E for no lock door make people come see am there nau.
CHARLES : wait a minute...I don't understand.
DAZU : I hear when the security people dey talk am say na crow bar dem use open the door before them enter.
CHARLES : so who was with the keys?
DAZU : they talk say they find the key outside...
CHARLES : (surprised )hmm...Okay thanks for your help.....(Was about driving away but held on)....em Mr Dazu, please if your daughter were to be called to come and be a witness in court can you release her?
DAZU : ehn, court, prison abeg oga I no fit. I no want wahala.
CHARLES : oh no there won't be any problem, she will just tell us what Andrew almost did to her that's...
DAZU : (cuts in) ehn! No o! Abeg I no want big man wahala o. All these big people make they come kill person. Oga, all of us know say na Andrew fit do that kain thing wey dem say Jide do, but who go fit talk? All the security people sef dey fear, na me go come tell my daughter make she go talk wetin? Abeg I no want wahala. I no wan loose my job o.
CHARLES : but....
DAZU : (cuts in)...oga abeg no just talk am again. I no fit. Thank God say no be my pikin die and she don talk say Andrew no do am anything, so na wetin I come dey look for?
CHARLES : ...but this Jide boy...
DAZU : (cuts in)..yes o, I pity Jide but I no wan die abeg...oga make you come dey go. I wan go chop for inside...
CHARLES : (takes a deep breath)....okay. Thanks for your time anyway.
DAZU : hmm...doh...bye-bye
(Charles leaves while Dazu enters into his house)


**********************************************************

(Charles was very excited about all the facts he just found out. He's so interested in the case that he found himself going to Jide's secondary school to find out some things from his teachers.

Some of the teachers were glad someone like him is taking a keen interest in the case.

He talks to the proprietress....)

CHARLES : I was told that you gave him scholarship into your school, ma'am.
PRO : yes I did. Jide has always been a very bright student who I admired so much at the spelling bee competition that was why I gave him the scholarship.
CHARLES : so what do you think about the allegations leveled against him?
PRO : well, I wasn't there so I can't say for sure if he did it or not but I've always known Jide to be a very good boy. Very truthful. In fact he did my school a wonderful thing when he came out second in the UK competition...
CHARLES : (cuts in)..UK competition?
PRO : yes. Out of all the schools here in Nigeria, just three of us were able to go for the competition and of all the international schools that came for that competition, thanks to Jide we came out second in that competition, note this, with just a point.
CHARLES : he's that brilliant?
PRO : very brilliant. We won all competitions because of him.
CHARLES : wow...
PRO : so with all that is happening now, I don't just know what to think or what to do. He was a very good boy.
CHARLES : hmm...I see.
(As they were talking Mr Chris and Mrs Haastrup knock at the door and come in...)
PRO : oh Chris, we were just talking about Jide Akande....he was the one that led them to the UK for the competition.
CHRIS : (Turns to Charles)...good morning ....
MRS HAASTRUP : good morning.
CHARLES : good morning.
PRO : Chris knows the students well, he's closer to them.
CHARLES : (turns to Chris)...I'm Charles Umar Unigbe, one of the lawyers working on Carol Achibong's case. Nice to meet you....(They shake hands)
PRO : (turns to Charles)....you can talk more with him.
CHARLES : thanks.
(Charles and Chris leaves the proprietress' office for a place to talk alone, as Charles bade the Proprietess goodbye.)

CHARLES : the proprietess told me all about Jide. But I want to know more about this other boy Andrew Silva.
CHRIS : hmm...Andrew, the Minister's son...if only you know what he and Ken did during the competition in the UK, those boys are something else...
CHARLES : (surprised)...really? Please can you tell me?
CHRIS : the competition started normally...(He tells him everything that happened at the UK competition)
CHARLES : Jez...those boys are really something...to pull off such a thing at that age...
CHRIS : I tell you...I don't believe Jide did such a thing...and, from some of the things the students that went for the party said, they said they had seen Andrew last with Carol before she died.
CHARLES : really?
CHRIS : oh well from what we heard, we don't know how true it is. You know I wasn't there, neither do I know what really happened, but for Jide to have done that...its unbelievable.
CHARLES : hmm....is it possible for me to talk to any of the students that came there, I mean if you have any one's contact?
CHRIS : I don't think you can. I mean no parent will want his or her child involved in that case I tell you. Moreover, I really don't know those that went and I don't have their contacts.
CHARLES : (takes a deep breath)....okay, I just really wish I could help Jide.
CHRIS : please do, anyhow you can. That boy has a scholarship at the Manchester University...I just wish all this won't affect his scholarship...
CHARLES : he has a scholarship?
CHRIS : yes. The competition gave him that scholarship. He's only waiting for his WAEC result to come out.
CHARLES : oh my...
CHRIS : in fact the situation is very pathetic.
CHARLES : hmm...well Mr Chris, thanks so much for your time. I'm really grateful.
CHRIS : you're welcome anytime.
(Charles leaves Atlantic College in distress.)


**********************************************************

(Charles was so disturb with the case that he decided to let Jacobs in on what he has found out so far. Though, since the past few days, he had called him several times but Jacobs had not picked the call neither has he called back. He went to his office but was told that he's not around. So he decided its better he goes to the Achibongs residence to have a chat with them.

When he got there he met Sandra, Carol's mother at home...)

CHARLES : (noticing the coldness in her)madam, i've been trying to get in touch with your husband for some time now, but to no avail.
SANDRA : oh that's true.
CHARLES : hope there's no problem?
SANDRA : he's not around.
CHARLES : (surprised)...really....and he didn't inform me..
SANDRA : it was urgent.
CHARLES : oh okay. So what about the case we're working on? He didn't say anything about it again.
SANDRA : eh....yes.
CHARLES : (seeing Sandra's countenance)...isn't he interested in the case anymore?
SANDRA : I'm not sure yet. Its possible we get another lawyer.
CHARLES : (shocked)...another Lawyer? have I done anything wrong? Is that why he collected the autopsy report without telling me?
SANDRA : well, we don't want the other test carried out. We don't want our daughter's body treated like a lab-rat. Tearing her up and extracting semen and all that. The autopsy already proved that she was raped and we believe that's enough to nail the boy.
CHARLES :  but...
SANDRA : (cuts in while standing up)..em, I'm sorry but I was about going to sleep when you came. You know I've not been myself since my daughter's death. So the doctor has placed me on some sleeping pills.
CHARLES : (takes a deep breath)...okay...please tell him to call me, let me know what decision he has taken.
SANDRA : okay. But I've told you we have gotten another lawyer so just forget about it.
CHARLES : (feeling really disappointed)...alright thanks for your time....(He leaves, though reluctantly)
SANDRA : is it by force? Haha....(Picking up her phone she dials her husband's number)....hello dear...
RECEIVER : hello?
SANDRA : Barrister Charles just left here.
RECEIVER : what did you tell him?
SANDRA : I told him we're getting another lawyer...
RECEIVER : what! Why did you say that?
SANDRA : what else can I say? I told him we needed a lawyer who can take up the case without using our daughter as a lab-rat.
RECEIVER : so what did he say?
SANDRA : I didn't even allow him go any further, I just told him I need to rest, so he left.
RECEIVER : if not that you keep insisting that we allow that boy stay there for two more years, I wouldn't have agreed to it.
SANDRA : come on dear, have you forgotten what that lawyer said? He said if the case is left for a later date that it will be more difficult to get any other fact, that the judge will only work with the facts laid before him. We have already done the autopsy and that's enough. Meaning that, they will ignore the semen test and all that.
RECEIVER : well...
SANDRA : come on dear, don't you want that boy to go to jail? Do you want them to just send him to one juvenile social center or something?
RECEIVER : no...
SANDRA : eh ehn...so let's just live it like this. The lawyer has gone, let him go.
RECEIVER : the only reason why I allowed this is because of the jail issue, if not...
SANDRA : fine. That's the reason why I want it like this too.
RECEIVER : that guy will be looking at me like a coward now. I couldn't even tell him myself.
SANDRA : don't feel bad about that. I told him you traveled and it was very urgent.
RECEIVER : hmm
SANDRA : so relax. Once that boy is above eighteen, then we'll strike.
RECEIVER : (takes a deep breath)....alright.



**********************************************************

(Andy is in his office thinking of what to do about the incident that happened at his residence...)

ANDY : I can't just sit still and do nothing. I've not heard anything from the Achibongs since and if I keep calling them, they may suspect something....(He stands up pacing)...and I can't just sit here and do nothing. I can't allow my son go to jail. I have to do something...(Thinking of what to do).....I have to get rid of all the evidences that can indict my son....those lawyers...(He looks for where he had kept the piece of paper and found it. He calls SK ....)

ANDY : is this Sunkanmi Alder?...(Looking at the name he wrote on the booklet)
RECEIVER : yes, who am I speaking with?
ANDY : this is the Minister for Petroleum and Gas.
RECEIVER : oh good afternoon sir.
ANDY : good afternoon how are you?
RECEIVER : very well sir.
ANDY : okay...I'll like to see you as soon as you can, you and your friend.
RECEIVER : really sir? there's no problem. When should we be available sir?
ANDY : I'll be in Lagos tomorrow, can you make it?
RECEIVER : yes sir. Should we come over to the house?
ANDY : yes, that will be better.
RECEIVER : alright sir. We'll be there.
ANDY : good.
RECEIVER : what time sir?
ANDY : by 12pm.
RECEIVER : we'll be right there sir.
ANDY : alright. Tomorrow then.
RECEIVER : very well sir. Bye sir.
ANDY : bye....(He hangs up)....good.



**********************************************************


(Sukanmi wonders what Andy may want to see them for, he informs Tade about it....)

TADE : can you see now?
SK : see what?
TADE : its possible it has to do with the shoe we collected.
SK : you think so?
TADE : yes. You know what? Let's just play along. Except we smell danger, we should not act like the shoe is no more in our hands, because from the way we spoke that day, that man must have known we suspected his son.
SK : that's true?...so what should we do?
TADE : hmm....we should go.
SK : hmmm....
TADE : (chuckles)..... And let's be ready for anything. That man is a Minister in this country, he must be very smart.
SK : that's exactly why I'm afraid. Make the guy no go poison us o.
TADE : we are lawyers...come on, we'll also be extra careful. But I suspect a kind of fowl play.
SK : me too.
TADE : you know what? I'll set the recorder on my phone to record all our conversation just in case.
SK : okay. But we really have to be careful.
TADE : yes. He must not know that we're recording.
SK : at all.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment