Sunday 24 July 2016

The Road Ahead Ch.3

Chapter 3


The information about the UK trip goes round and the students are excited about it. Those who will be going for the competition are excited while the others are full of wishes.

Jide on the other hand was thinking of what will become of him when Tony, one of his class mates walked up to him, “hey Jide…why are you looking moody?” sitting beside him, “you should be happy you will be going for the competition.”
“Me? How can i? Didn’t you see all that is required for going on the trip?”
“Uh-hmm, your parents can’t afford the plane ticket, right?”
“My parents can’t afford any of those things listed there. Not the wears, not the clothes, nothing.”
“But you have to go. Remember it’s not just about the excursion but also the competition?”
“I don’t think I will…I’ve never gone for any of our excursions before. The one in Turkey, the one in New York, none of them.”
“So you didn’t go for the last one?”
“No.”
“But this one is different, it was even said on the notice that all SS2 students should be in attendance, only SS3 and JSS3 students are exempted.”
“I know. Tony, look let’s just forget about it.” He picks up his bag and packing his books, I’m going to the library.”

While they were talking one of their teachers who was passing by their classroom, saw them through the window.
“Hey Jide…” says Mrs. Neba, not interested in entering into the classroom, she leans on the widow frame.
Jide turns his attention to the teacher talking to him, “Ma!” he stands up and walks towards her.
“I really think you should go and get a new school uniform because you will need it for the competition in the UK. This uniform you are wearing is worn out, remember you will be representing us over there, so you should look better than this,” looking at him from up to down, “even your shoes…tell your mother to get you another one on time…”
Jide wanted to tell her he won’t be able to go for the trip but changes his mind, “okay Ma.”
Mrs. Neba walks away and Tony continues, “Didn’t I tell you? I knew you’ll be going.”
“But…” Jide tries to disagree but Tony cuts in, “but what? For Mrs. Neba to have said that, it simply means you’re going for the competition. I’m sure the school will find a way out for you.”
Jide decided to let the argument be as he leaves for the library.




When Jide got home that day, he wanted to tell his mother about the trip even though he knows there is nothing she can do about it, but unfortunately, he met his father right on the floor, his left hand and left leg were paralyzed and the poor man was busy trying to get himself up. Jide rushed to his father’s aid, “Papa what happened? Why are you on the floor?”
“I ….i can’t…can’t feel this leg…” Mr. James says with tears in his eyes, he uses his right hand to point at his left leg.
“Oh God,” he looks around, “where’s mama?” trying to lift his father up, “Mama!”
“She….she has…gone to… wash …for Mama Risi…” trying to lay back on the bed.
“Wait papa, let me call someone outside to come and help us.” Jide was about going out to call for help, but his father pulled him back…
“No….come…I will try and get up…just come and hold this hand for me.” He manages to talk with his left hand dangling by his side, he tries to withhold the tears from dropping from his eyes.
“Okay Papa.” After so much effort. Jide was able to help his father get back on the bed. After his father was well laid, “but papa what happened?”
“I…wanted to go and hiss myself…when I got to the bathroom, I slipped and hit my back on the ground...”
“Jesus!”
“I still managed to come back to the house but as I lifted my leg to enter into the house I couldn't feel my left hand and leg again…”
Jide cuts in, “Oh God! That means Mama Kafaya has not washed that bathroom yet. Yesterday evening the landlady was telling her to make sure she washes it before anybody uses it this morning o…when I used it, it was not washed, I thought she would wash it after I finished…just look at what this has caused now…last week, when Mama did not wash it on Saturday, everybody was shouting at her till she washed it on Monday morning, now that its Mama Kafaya’s turn they didn’t say anything…see what it has caused now…we have to take you to the hospital…”
His father cuts him short, “no…”
“But papa, you just said you can’t feel your…”
“I know.” His father cuts in. “Just hold on, it has happened before…” the old man he lied, “it will soon relieve me…”
“Papa, are you sure?”
“Yes…em…Jide…”
“Sir…?”
“Don’t tell your mother when she comes…”
“But why papa?”
“Because…because she will want to take me to the hospital and you know there’s no money in the house…”
“But…”
“No buts Jide.” James cuts in, “You must not tell her anything…”
“Okay Papa…”

Jide knew that his father’s condition was getting worse. Once he did an assignment given to them on their chosen career, they had taken stroke as a case study, examining the symptoms and the cases of stroke. He knew that his father already has partial stroke.

He kept thinking of what to do to help. He leaves his father on the bed and goes outside, sitting down in front of the house. Jide was there still thinking of what to do when one of his neighbour Ajala walked into the compound, he noticed it is so unlike Jide not to say hello to his elders, “haha, Jide didn’t you see me? Are you lost in thought?”
“Oh Uncle Ajala,” snapping out of his thoughts, “good evening sir…”
“What is wrong with you? What are you thinking?”
“Uncle, I’m thinking of how to make money o…”
“How to make money? At this age?”
“Uncle yes o…I need to help my mother somehow…”
“Well, I am making money somehow…”
“How, Uncle tell me…” paying him more attention, he sits up.
“Well…” Ajala says, moving closer to Jide as he puts down the polythene bag in his hand. “I do make nothing less than N5000 every day, depending on how hardworking I am…”
“Are you serious?”
“Of course…how do you think I pay my school fees at the part time school and pay my house rent?”
“Ehen…Uncle introduce me too, I don’t mind. At least, if I give mama N5000 every day, she will be able to cook something better for papa…”
“Can you carry load very well?”
“Carry load? Yes nau my hands are strong…”
“Are you sure? Because the kind of work I do needs a lot of strength…”
“Of course I can…”
“Good….you know there are many markets in this Lagos?
“Yes…”
“You see, these markets differ from each other. Some of them, the shoppers are very rich, some, the shoppers are averagely rich, some averagely poor, while some are poor…now, if you are able to joining the group of load carriers in any of these markets, you will be paid for helping shoppers carry their load or whatever they buy to the bus stop or to their cars depending on which market…”
“Hmm…”
“You see, in some markets, you will be paid about N100 for carrying a particular amount of load for a particular distance, but in the some other market, you will paid N500 for carrying the same amount of load for the same distance…”
“But why?”
“Because of the type of people who shop in the market.”
“Hmm…so if I can carry for 10 people a day, that will be N5000?”
“Yes.”
“Uncle please take me there…”
“But! There’s something else there…”
“What’s that?”
“The price ranges…it may be less than that…”
“Uncle I don’t mind, just let me work and bring money home…”
“There’s another thing again…’
“What again…”
“You will have to pay dues from whatever you earn in the market o….”
“Uncle I don’t mind. In as much as I will bring money home…”
“Okay…you can follow me there on Saturday…
“Thank you very much uncle, I’m very grateful…”



Early Saturday morning, Ajala and Jide set out for Sura Market on Lagos Island. The market is quite close to Dolphin Estate, one of the most expensive estates in Lagos, on the same island; most residents of Lagos Island would shop at Sura market due to the good road that leads to the market and its good condition.

Load carriers in the market usually stayed in the car park, waiting for shoppers who are just driving in. The load-carriers would follow the shoppers around the market, helping them to carry all they will be buying and finally help them to bring purchases to the car. They would be paid for that service after that shopper finishes and would wait for another.

Ajala introduced Jide to some of the other load carriers in the market and they accepted him, telling him the dues he will have to pay. Afterwards, Jide set out to work immediately; he toured the market with Ajala asking buyers if their help is needed. Some of the shoppers asked for their help and they were charged according to how much their load was. Ajala did the negotiation while Jide would do as he was told.

After working for about six hours they were about going to have something to eat as they were just leaving the car park where they had just helped a shopper to carry her things to the market, they noticed another car coming into the car park and Ajala asks Jide to follow him as he runs after the incoming shopper. Ajala meets up with the car as the driver parks and a woman comes down from the owner’s corner telling her daughter to come down. Ajala did not waste time to start negotiating before the other load carriers come along, “Madam, I know where you can get everything you want, I can take you there, ma.” Panting as he talks to her.
“I need to buy cartons of provisions, you know what provisions are called, don’t you?” the woman says, clutching her handbag under her armpit.
“Yes ma, I will take you there. If what you want to buy is much, me and my boy here will help you.” Looking around for Jide who is just catching up with him.
“Okay.” The woman looks into the car calling her daughter to come outside. “come on Carol, let’s get going.”
“Yes Mum,” the girl who seem to be busy with her laptop places it down on the seat and comes out of the car. She got to her mother on the other side of the car at the same time Jide got to Ajala. The moment she saw Jide, she was shocked, “what Jide?”
Jide was surprised to see his schoolmate right in front of him, “hi Carol.”
“Hey what’s going on here?” wondering how her daughter could know such a dirty looking, rough boy. “Do you know him from somewhere?” looking at her daughter questionably.
“He’s my schoolmate.” Looking at Jide with disgust, she turns to Jide, “you work here? In this place?” looking around the market.
“Yes.’ Jide replies her without regrets, “we can help you carry your load, me and my Uncle here.”
“So this is your Uncle?” Carol asks him, looking at Ajala and what he’s putting on.
“Oh Jide, so you even know them,” Ajala cuts in happily without taking note of the expression on the women’s faces.
‘Em, please take me where I have to get those things.” Carol's mother tells him, trying not to engaged such an ordinary person in a discussion.
“Okay ma, let’s go.” Ajala replies her, leading the way already.
“And you,” the woman says, turning her attention to Carol, “I didn’t bring you here to know or talk to anyone.”
“Sure Mum.” She follows her mother while Jide catches up with Ajala.
The woman and her daughter did their shopping, while Jide and Ajala became their carriers throughout their shopping period. Whenever their big bowls were full, they would carry some of the load following the driver to drop it in the booth and come back for more. When Carol and her mother finished shopping, they paid Ajala and Jide and went their way, leaving the market.

As soon as the car started moving, Carol’s mother wasted no time in questioning her daughter. “How come such a boy is in the same school with you? How can he afford your fees?”
“Mum, he’s on scholarship.”
“Scholarship? Is he that brilliant?”
“Kind of…”
“But notwithstanding, your proprietress shouldn’t allow such people be in such a school, its degrading. People like that shouldn’t be learning in the same place with people like you. I think I need to have a word with your Proprietress as soon as possible. Whatever money she intends to give him can be given to him to study in another school.
“Talking to her won’t be bad Mum, its necessary, because a lot of us detest him.”
“I sure will.”





It’s a very bright afternoon at Atlantic College, the alarm for the lunch break had gone off and all the students are at the school cafeteria having lunch. Most of the students would gladly go for junks except for those who needed to have a serious meal. Some of them ordered for plates of rice with chicken and salad while others went for shawama and the likes.

The cafeteria is quite busy as the students are going here and there taking their meal trays to their tables. Jide, who hardly ever enters into the school cafeteria peeps in and walks sluggishly towards the counter, hoping to buy a bottle of water.

Even with the hustling inside the cafeteria, Andrew and his crew did not cease to notice Jide walking towards the counter. Andrew stands up immediately shouting at the top of his voice, “hey! Hey! Hey! Now who do we have here?” walking towards Jide, he pulls Jide back with his blazer, making Jide face him, “hey man, sachet water is not available here.” Laughing scornfully as others join him.
“Oh no...that's not what they call it....em its...” Trying to recall what sachet water is called locally, “yes! Its pure water!” the rest of the crew laughs and then Ken continues “Pure water is not available here. And I'm sure you can't afford the table water, or can you?” asking Jide mockingly.
Jide ignores them.
“Neither can he afford the food....” Andrew comes in.
“Look here,” Lucas butts in, sliding the plate of his leftover towards Jide on the table, “you can have my left over,” Laughing scornfully, “it will do you some good.”
“And mine too.” Says Amed, pushing his leftover in the same direction.
Jide looks at their leftover and then at their faces, “no thanks.” Trying to ignore them but Andrew would not let him be.
“Oh come on, we all know that you've not eaten this morning,” Andrew turns to his other friends, “isn't it?”
“Yeah.” They answer him quickly.
“So we're trying to help, so here,” He walks back to his table and throws a bottle of table water at Jide and the water hits him hard on the head, “drink that!”

At another corner, Bukola, Bibi, Carol and Susan are there looking at Andrew’s drama.
“Andrew and the rest won't stop picking on this boy all their life.” Bibi says, looking at the way Andrew is behaving.
Carol replies her, laughing out loud as the bottle hit Jide on the head, “they are a bunch of funny guys!”
“Funny?” says Bukola, looking at Carol with anger. “What the hell is funny about them?”
“I really pity Jide,” says Susan.
“Why?” says Carol, while looking at her.
“Because they keep picking on him at every slight opportunity, all because he's from a poor home.”
“So whose fault is that?” Carol questions Susan, hoping to get an answer, but Bukola rescues her…
“I've always known you don't like Jide, I just don't know what he's done to you.”
“Why will I like him? He's not in my class.”
“Your class, huh?” says Bukola.
“Yes. I mean, I'm rich he's poor, I can't mingle with such a low class guy. You guys keep using him when you need him academically, that's what he's useful for. I'm sure you won't dare talk to him outside school.”
“Why not?” Susan inquires.
“Do you know there was a day I actually saw him selling sachet water?” Bibi says quietly, leaning forward.
“Oh that’s small. I saw him carrying load for people in the market!”
“Oh please Carol, we are tired of hearing that over and over.” Bukola cuts her short.
“When I told my Mum he's my schoolmate she didn't believe me, she said I'm lying. Until his issue was brought up by some parents at the Parents and teachers meeting.” Says Bibi.
“I heard about the discussion at the meeting. They said some parents said its disgraceful seeing a student from our school selling sachet water on the road and all that.” Bukola says pitifully.
“Actually, my Mum was one of those that said he should be expelled from our school, you know.” Carol says.
“So how was it resolved?” says Susan, looking at Bukola for an answer but she says nothing.
“Bukola, your mum is a teacher, didn't she tell you?” Bibi asks.
“She said the school was against sending Jide away because of what they stand to gain. You know Jide is very brilliant in all subjects and he helps us win every competition we go for....”
“So?” Carol cuts in.
“That's why they can't let him go.”
“But from what I heard some parents said they will remove their children from this school if the proprietress doesn't send Jide away.” Says Carol.
“Yes and some others said they should leave Jide alone.” Bukola answers her.
“So what will happen?” Susan asks.
“I don't know. I think the school authorities are still thinking of what to do.”
“They should leave him nau, after all we're already in SS2, we'll soon finish.” Susan says.
“Well, I pray so.” Bukola says, turning her gaze back to Jide.

Meanwhile after the humiliation Jide went through, he walked out of the cafeteria quietly, before he will cause more drama at the cafeteria.

Sometime later, while he was sitting alone at the back of their class, Bukola walks up to him, “Hey Jide...”
“Yes?” wondering who it is this time, he looks up.
“Why did you leave the cafeteria without buying anything the other time?”
“I changed my mind.”
“Jide, you should not always allow those guys treat you like a piece of rubbish for God's sake. They keep stepping over you and you don't say anything.”
Jide smiles, looking at Bukola, “I'm from a very humble background, I can't afford to get into trouble with you rich people's kids. If I do, who will come to my rescue? My father is poor and sick, I don't want trouble.”
“But do you have to keep taking all this rubbish?”
“What can I do? One day, I'll leave this school, everybody will go their different ways. Then I'll be free from them.”
“And before then? You will keep taking this rubbish from Andrew and the rest?”
“Its just for a short while, it will soon be over.”
“Anyway, have you had lunch?
Jide smiles and nods at her, “hmm.”
“Jide, I know you can't afford to eat in the school cafeteria, so I shouldn't....”
Jide cuts in, “oh no, I've eaten bread and akara. It was water I came to get.”
“And have you gotten water?”
‘Don't mind me, I forgot to bring water from home, and I forgot to bring my plastic, that's why I didn't take water from the faucet.”
“Do you mean the water in the bathroom?” Bukola says surprisingly.
“Yes.”
“Haa! Is that the water you usually drink?”
“Yes nau. The water is clean o...”
Bukola cuts in, “Jesus Christ! How can you be drinking that kind of water? Don't you know its dangerous to your health?”
“Which water is dangerous? The water that I've been drinking since JS1? If its dangerous then I should have been dead by now.” Jide answers her, laughing.
“What a pity....”
“So what did you score in your maths assignment?” Jide asks her, in a bid to change the topic.
“Nine out of the ten questions.”
“Wow! You tried o...”
“It was thanks to you...”
“Oh no, I only explained the formula to you, you answered the questions yourself.”
“Thanks all the same.” Smiling at him.
“You're welcome.”
“I still need you for logarithms you know, I've never understood that topic.”
“Alright.”
“So when?
“Tomorrow during lunch break.”
“Good, then I'm buying you lunch.”
“Ehn! Five hundred naira food? At once?”
Bukola laughs at his words, “don't start again Jide....see ya!” She walks away.
“Imagine, N500....six bags of cold pure water and N20 change...to buy one plate of food....lailai...she had better given me the money.” He chuckles.


Unknown to them that Andrew and his other friends had seen him talking to Bukola. They sit in one of the classrooms talking;

“Ken look, that fool is with Bukola.” Andrew told Ken drawing his attention to the duo.
“After all the humiliation we gave him at the cafeteria, he still hasn't learnt his lesson...”
“Let's go and deal with him.” Andrew tells Lucas while standing up.
“Wait...” Ken stops him, pulling him back, “don't go yet. Let her leave first, then we'll deal with him.”
“What's wrong with this guy, he keeps having all the girls in this school! He's got them all in his palms....” says Amed.
“But I thought I heard his case was being decided upon, haven't they taken a decision yet?” Lucas asks.
“I don't know,” says Ken,” the thing is that some of our parents who should have come into the matter are nowhere to be found. Like my Dad for example, he'll never be at the PTA meeting. Your Dad too.” Pointing at Andrew, “or even your Mum.”
“Dad is always in Abuja and Mum,” Andrew answers him, “traveling here and there...she can't make it.
“My parents too.” Says Amed.
“My Mum was at the last meeting and well I don't know if they've decided to send him away from our school. I'm sure if your parents had been there, the proprietress wouldn't have objected to the motion raised by the parents.” Says Lucas.
“Yes, she couldn't have rejected my Dad or your Dad, Andrew.” Ken confirms.


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment