Wednesday 22 June 2016


Test of Time

Episode 5

BIMBO : em...I'm sorry I can't do this now...
MARK : its okay..I'm sorry, I was taken away by your beauty, I couldn't resist the temptation... Please forgive me.
BIMBO : its okay. Thanks for your listening ears all the same.
MARK : anytime babe...should I take you back home now?
BIMBO : yes, please.
MARK : okay.
(He takes her back home and leaves. Meanwhile, Bimbo's friends are still waiting for her at home...)
TARA : Baby! (Opening the door for her as she enters)...Baby! You've got to gist me, tell me everything that happened...
(Chioma and Annette also comes out of the kitchen)
CHIOMA : hmm...come, tell us how it went...(Sitting next to Bimbo)
ANNET : hmm...(Sits on the couch)
CHIOMA : yes o, tell us...
BIMBO : (smiling)...guess what?
ALL : what!
BIMBO : we kissed...
ANNET : (shocked)...what! You kissed him?
TARA : wait, as in you guys kissed?
BIMBO : (facing Annette)...he kissed me actually. I wasn't the one that kissed him.
TARA : wow!...that's my girl!
ANNET : (turns to Tara)...your girl, what girl are you saying?
TARA : (turns to Annette)..haha, what nau?...(Turns back to Bimbo)...and did you respond? 
ANNET : Tara! Haha!
TARA : what! Haa!
ANNET : (turns to Bimbo)...what then happens to Yomi?
TARA : which Yomi? Abeg!
ANNET : come on babe, you just got into a mess with Yomi and now you're kissing Mark, haha...
TARA : and what is wrong with that?
CHIOMA : you guys wait....(Turns to Bimbo) are you interested in Mark? 
BIMBO : I don't know, he just showed up with all this love, affection and care and I'm like...
ANNET : Bimbo! Is it because of the gifts?
BIMBO : no. I mean, I don't know...
ANNET : you better start knowing now because you still have this situation with Yomi, or don't you want Yomi again?
TARA : Yomi? Abeg!
ANNET : (turns to Tara) please let her answer the question.
BIMBO : really, I'm confused, I don't know.
ANNET : its better you think about it and make up your mind.
CHIOMA : that's true o, Bimbo. If you know its Yomi, then make up your mind and if you know its Mark, let Yomi know.
TARA : better still do the two now, pick one later.
ANNET : Tara!
TARA : what? Have we not done it before, haha...
ANNET : you did, not me.
TARA : yeah right!
BIMBO : abeg, I want to go and freshen up...(She leaves them there)
..................................................................
..................................................................
Jade got home later that same evening after spending the whole day with Yinka....
FUNMI : (sitting beside her)....come, tell me, how did it go?
JADE : guess what?
FUNMI : tell me joor...
JADE : he asked me out!
FUNMI : really! So you have a boyfriend now... Yes!....(Excited)
JADE : no!
FUNMI : (shocked) no? What do you mean no?
JADE : I can't date him, Funmi.
FUNMI : but why?
JADE : Funmi, he's there and I'm here. Its not possible.
FUNMI : what do you mean its not possible? (Walks away) damn it! I can't believe you.
JADE : that's what it has to be.
FUNMI : but Jade, you love this guy. I know you love him.
JADE : even at that, I can't date him. I've told you I'm not into long distance relationship.
FUNMI : (comes to her again)....but we've talked about it. Don't let this guy out of your sight, cousin....
JADE : you know I love attention a lot Funmi. I love being with my man without considering any obstacles.
FUNMI : so what did he say? How did he take it?
JADE : hmm....(Takes a deep breath)...he didn't give up. He said he'll still wait for me to change my mind.
FUNMI : oh my God, Jade, this guy really loves you o. Don't let him go, cousin, he loves you, I can feel it.
JADE : (smiles)...its not that easy.
FUNMI : Jade, think about it like he said....(Looks at her again) when is he going back to Abuja?
JADE : day after tomorrow.
FUNMI : so are you guys going to see again?
JADE : yes. Tomorrow evening.
FUNMI : that's good...tell me, how do you feel with him?
JADE : the truth?
FUNMI : yes.
JADE : I really wish he stays in Lagos. He's such a gorgeous looking guy.
FUNMI : tell me more....(Sitting up)
JADE : he's got a good dress sense just like I love my men, a sweet smell that will make any girl go wow!
FUNMI : hmm...I wish I could meet him...
JADE : if only he's staying in lagos, I would have shouted yes immediately he told me how he felt.
FUNMI : hmm....you better agree, stubborn girl....
..................................................................
The following day Jade and Yinka met again and spent the whole evening talking. After which Yinka goes back to Abuja to resume work the following day...
MIKE : hey man! How was your trip?
YINKA : not so bad.
MIKE : (surprised)....not so bad? I was expecting you to say it was awesome or something...
YINKA : hmmm...
MIKE : what happened? Didn't you see Jade?
YINKA : Ja-de not Jade joor....its a yoruba name not english.
MIKE : whatever, its sweeter that way...so did you?
YINKA : I did and I told her how I feel.
MIKE : really, so?
YINKA : she said she's not interested in a long distance relationship.
MIKE : oh my....doesn't she love you?
YINKA : that's it. I believe she loves me.
MIKE : you believe? Haha...
YINKA : yes. Come on Mike, a girl that loves talking to me everyday, she spent the whole day with me on saturday...I could see it in her eyes, she loves me.
MIKE : so she didn't say she does?
YINKA : she didn't say she doesn't, either. That's why I believe she loves me.
MIKE : hmm.....(Thinking about it)...may be she wasn't interested in what she saw.
YINKA : (surprised)...you mean she didn't like me, after seeing me?
MIKE : no. I mean, may be you're not good looking enough for her.
YINKA : haha....guy, I'm not bad o.
MIKE : (laughs)...na so your Mama go talk.
YINKA : anyway sha, I had a very good time with her...
MIKE : (shocked)...you did?
YINKA : (looking at his face)...its not what you think joor! I mean we spent time together.
MIKE : oh, I see...
YINKA : she's more beautiful than the first time I saw her.
MIKE : really?
YINKA : I tell you....
MIKE : then, I should get a transfer to lagos...
YINKA : (confused)..why?
MIKE : to take your place of course!
YINKA : you dare not!
MIKE : (laughing)....take it easy nau, guy!
YINKA : I'm not giving up on her.
MIKE : hmmm....
YINKA : that's a fact. In fact, I'll tighten my game.
MIKE : wow, lover boy!
YINKA : that's me...
..................................................................

Yomi was at work eating his lunch as usual when he receives a call from Bimbo...
YOMI : hello?
CALLER : Yomi...how are you?
YOMI : I'm good. You?
CALLER : I'm alright....em... can we hook up?
YOMI : when?
CALLER : this weekend.
YOMI : (surprised) this weekend?
CALLER : yes.
YOMI : why that long? Why can't we talk tomorrow or even today?
CALLER : because I need some days to get myself together and make up my mind.
YOMI : oh....okay.
CALLER : alright, then...
YOMI : (pauses for a while and then cuts in).....I still love you.
CALLER : (chuckles)...hmm...ciao!
YOMI : ciao...
(He had hardly dropped the phone when Lanre steps in....)
LANRE : Yomi, the presentation starts after lunch....(Seeing his looks) what's wrong?
YOMI : I just spoke to her now.
LANRE : your Babe?
YOMI : yes. She called me.
LANRE : to apologize right?
YOMI : how I wish...
LANRE : haha...then what...(Takes a seat)
YOMI : she said she wants us to talk this weekend.
LANRE : haha...why weekend? Today is just monday.
YOMI : her work....
LANRE : hmm....her work. Okay. I wish you good luck...
..................................................................
(Jade was at work when a letter was brought to her.....)
JADE : what's this about?...(Opening the letter)
CECE : lately, I've being giving retrenchment letter to people, I hope this is not another one.
JADE : (opens the letter and reads it)....oh my God....
CECE : (anxious) what's it about? With that expression I know its not a retrenchment letter.
JADE : I'm to resume in Abuja next week monday!
CECE : oh....really?
JADE : yes...
CECE : don't you like it?
JADE : no, its just that I wasn't expecting it.
CECE : you should be happy o. Everybody is getting a retrenchment letter, you got a letter of transfer, you better thank your God and go to Abuja.
JADE : my problem is settling there...I heard there's scarcity of accommodation and the cost of living there is very high.
CECE : of course the company should make provision for that nau.
JADE : let me go and see Mr Wade...(Standing up to leave)
CECE : better.
..................................................................
(Later that same evening Jade gets home.....)
JADE : Funmi! Funmi! (Entering into the house)
FUNMI : (coming out of the kitchen)...what is it young lady?...
JADE : I've been transferred to Abuja.
FUNMI : are you serious?
JADE : dead serious!....(bringing out the letter)...here...
FUNMI : (collecting the letter)....hey this is God's work o!....(Reads the letter).....have you told Yinka yet?
JADE : not yet o.
FUNMI : haha! What are you waiting for? Call him joor!
JADE : (she brings out her phone and dials Yinka's number)....hello?
RECEIVER : hello Jade
JADE : guess what?
RECEIVER : (surprised)...what happened?
JADE : I've just being transferred to Abuja.
RECEIVER : its a lie. You're just pulling my legs, abi?
JADE : I'm serious.
RECEIVER : (sitting up) stop this joke Jade, be serious nau...
JADE : I'm dead serious. I'm resuming next monday.
RECEIVER : oh my God, its true?
JADE : yes, very true!
RECEIVER : yes!!!
JADE : so I'll be coming down to Abuja on saturday so as to settle down before resuming on monday.
RECEIVER : and I definitely will be at the airport to pick you up. I can't wait!
JADE : I'd appreaciate that a lot.
RECEIVER : yes! God is surely on my side!
JADE : (laughing)...hmm
RECEIVER : I just can't wait for saturday! 
JADE : hey, take it easy, are you so excited?
RECEIVER : Jade, why won't I be? My prayers are answered! I've longed for you to be with me. Jade, you still don't know how much I love you, do you think its a joke? 
JADE : its not that, I just didn't think you'll be so excited.
RECEIVER : excitement is an understatement, believe me.
JADE : okay o. I just got back from work, let me go and freshen up.
RECEIVER : okay. Should I call you later on, may be before you go to bed?
JADE : okay.
RECEIVER : alright dear. Later
JADE : yeah....(Drops the call)
FUNMI : he was excited abi?
JADE : you can say that again. He said he can't wait for saturday.
FUNMI : wow! This is surely the beginning of good things....
JADE : hmm...I'm going to freshen up. 
FUNMI : we should celebrate this o.
JADE : they never pay my salary o.
FUNMI : haha!
JADE : see, all this other telecommunication companies charging 5k per second are not making land line companies sell again o. 
FUNMI : that's true o, GSM is now more economical than land line o.
JADE : abi nau. I hope they won't face us out sha, because about seven people were sacked last week.
FUNMI : eyah....
JADE : I'm happy I'm not one of them sha...abeg, let me go and freshen up, before Yinka calls me back...(Standing up)
FUNMI : hmm...love in the air!
JADE : (laughs) na you know o...
..................................................................
(Mark just came back home from work and meets Hyke in his house...)
MARK : I'm sorry I'm late...(Dropping his suit) I'm clearing up to move to the new branch.
HYKE : oh, the transfer pulled through?
MARK : not just that. I'm now the area manager of the branch I was transferred to.
HYKE : wow, we should celebrate that...
MARK : (smiles)...yes o...hope you're spending the night?
HYKE : yes, I will crash here.
MARK : okay. Eyah, if I'd known I would have told Anita to come around so she can cook for us.
HYKE : shouldn't she be in school?
MARK : the University lecturers are on strike nau.
HYKE : oh, I heard about that. So she's home?
MARK : yes, she is. 
HYKE : Hmm...my runaway wife.
MARK : o boy, take your time o, no even think am.
HYKE : why you dey like that? I no fit marry your sister?
MARK : you nko? Sebi you no wan make I marry your cousin.
HYKE : (laughs)...haha don't you have Bimbo there?
MARK : oh please! That one is for the road....oh I didn't even tell you what happened after the party!
HYKE : no, you didn't. Any big deal?..(Sitting up)
MARK : of course, we went somewhere to talk and guy believe me after just a little sweet talk, she was melting in my arms o.
HYKE : are you serious?
MARK : believe me.
HYKE : with all that her shakara!
MARK : guy, we kissed o.
HYKE : (shocked) Na lie!
MARK : haha....I'm serious. I kiss am and she responded....after she don respond finish, she come say 'sorry, I can't do this now'...(Laughing)
HYKE : yeah right! After enjoying the kiss.
MARK : ehn she didn't say she can't do it at all, abi? She said she can't do it 'now'...
HYKE : meaning she fit do am later....(Laughing)
MARK : you don get am....all these girls, they're all the same jare.
HYKE : chai! So how far? The girl don fall be that o.
MARK : I tell you...I've been having lunch with her since monday, and from what I gathered, she's been confused about her guy.
HYKE : hmm.....you bad guy! This is why I no wan give you my cousin o, make you no break her heart.
MARK : haba nau...(Sits beside him)...na small innocent girl I want. See, let's be serious, Amanda is still an innocent naïve girl, that's what I want. The other day she visited me with Anita, I knew she'd make a good wife. I just want to wait for her to finish school and come for her hand.
HYKE : what of your Bimbo?
MARK : wait a minute, did I ever tell you I want to spend the rest of my life with her? Abeg, she's just for the road to Amanda. Please don't deny me Amanda.
HYKE : you agree make we exchange?
MARK : hmm...all those your girls wey you dey carry around nko? You know say me I be one-woman-at-a-time guy. I drop one before picking up another.
HYKE : you know all this my runs will stop if I get Anita nau, haba! She's the woman of my life.
MARK : hmm...
HYKE : seriously o...
MARK : hmm....let's see how it goes...
To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment